Read--Fishtailing-WitchesOfWillowmere-GravityBringsMeDown-Uninvited-TheSnowSpiderTrilogy--TheHungerGames- CatchingFire- TheHobbit- MockingJay--YoungSherlockHolmes:DeathCloud - WhenRabbitHowls --HarryPotteradnThePhilosophersStone--






Reading-- Darran Shan; Cirque du Freak

Monday, October 24, 2011

Making Connections

"Also, the drugs they use to control my pain and mood sometimes makes me see things. I guess. I'm still not entirely convinced that I was hallucinating the night the floor of my hospital room transformed into a carpet of writhing snakes."...(Chapter one page 4 of Mocking Jay)

A text-to-world connection I am able to make from this passage is with the pain medication that the doctors are using on Katniss to numb her, it is helpful but there are some obvious nasty side-effects. I connect these drugs to the ones used to calm patients in extreme pain today they may not have as extreme side-effects but most of them do knock you out and numb the senses and brain for short or extended periods of time. This is a fairly obvious connection that most may overlook but to me it makes the text all the more real and terrifying to relate to... I love it.

1 comment:

  1. Great connection!
    Seems like you really understand what's happening, and the connection you made really moved you to somewhere else. Maybe even like a patient.. you've been in that position or maybe friend/family. Even if you haven't the connection you've made has gave me that feeling. I like that that is possible.

    ReplyDelete